* Create an index if you frequently want to retrieve less than 15% of the rows in a large table.
* To improve performance on joins of multiple tables, index columns used for joins.
* Small tables do not require indexes.
Some columns are strong candidates for indexing. Columns with one or more of the following characteristics are candidates for indexing:
* Values are relatively unique in the column.
* There is a wide range of values (good for regular indexes).
* There is a small range of values (good for bitmap indexes).
* The column contains many nulls, but queries often select all rows having a value. In this case, use the following phrase:
WHERE COL_X > -9.99 * power(10,125)
Using the preceding phrase is preferable to:
WHERE COL_X IS NOT NULL
This is because the first uses an index on COL_X (assuming that COL_X is a numeric column).
Columns with the following characteristics are less suitable for indexing:
* There are many nulls in the column and you do not search on the not null values.
The size of a single index entry cannot exceed roughly one-half (minus some overhead) of the available space in the data block.
1. The order of columns in the CREATE INDEX statement can affect query performance. In general, specify the most frequently used columns first.If you create a single index across columns to speed up queries that access, for example, col1, col2, and col3; then queries that access just col1, or that access just col1 and col2, are also speeded up. But a query that accessed just col2, just col3, or just col2 and col3 does not use the index.
2. There is a trade-off between the speed of retrieving data from a table and the speed of updating the table. For example, if a table is primarily read-only, having more indexes can be useful; but if a table is heavily updated, having fewer indexes could be preferable.
3. Drop Index that are no longer required.
4. Using different tablespaces (on different disks) for a table and its index produces better performance than storing the table and index in the same tablespace. Disk contention is reduced.
Expert are always welcome for their valuable comment or suggestion for the above post.